Hiawatha USD 415 is currently accepting applications for a School Nurse at Hiawatha Elementary School for the 2021-2022 School year. RN license is preferred. Applications can be obtained at the Board of Education office 706 S 1st St. or by calling 785-742-2224.
Job Description :
PURPOSE: Provides immediate care for sick and injured students and staff; screenings; medical records and immunizations; first aid and emergencies; keeps records and makes reports. To provide the fullest possible educational opportunity for each district student by minimizing absence due to illness and creating a climate of health and well-being in the district schools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Evaluates and cares for injuries and illnesses; procures doctor's orders if necessary to dispense prescriptions; dispenses prescriptions to students in need of medication; keeps records and makes reports.
- Responds to emergency calls anywhere in the district.
- Audits all charts for immunizations and prepares state reports; notifies parents of need to update immunizations and keeps records.
- Assists staff in periodic student assessments and screenings: vision, hearing, height, weight, head lice, bed bugs etc.
- Notify parents of need for medical referrals and follow up on all of them.
- Recheck students who do not pass initial screenings and at the request of teachers or parents.
- Arrange for dental checks for students in grade K-8(if applicable).
- Record all screening results on student health records; record new immunizations; record any pertinent or new information on individual student records.
- Monitors blood borne pathogen procedures and trains personnel to meet OSHA standards; monitors communicable diseases and inform teachers and parents of procedures.
- Assists with IEP implementation and/or other meetings as required; maintains confidentiality.
- Assists students with toileting and personal hygiene (if applicable).
- Teaches unlicensed personnel correct legal procedures in dealing with sick students; evaluate their performance.
- Performs light janitorial cleaning, related to health concerns.
- Completes job-related district in-service hours as required and maintains personal records.
- Manages job duties with the mobility, agility, dexterity and quick response to emergency using CPR and/or first aid; focused observation to closely observe patients in stress and to meet job standards of performance.
- Create health plans for students with health concerns and ensure other staff follows through with health plans.
- Educate students and staff on health related concerns as appropriate.
- Work with local health department to track communicable diseases and follow state guidelines for exposure.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
- Makes or receives telephone calls as required.
- Maintains and files routine correspondence and records.
- Must support district mission, goals and objectives
- Must demonstrate ability to give quality classroom presentations showing diversity and quality of interaction with groups and individuals.
- Must meet all safety requirements as directed by the District.
- Must comply with State of Kansas Nursing Standards
- Professional evaluation performed annually by Principal.
CONTRACT LENGTH: Equal to student contact days as determined by the BOE approved district calendar.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Shall be a certified registered nurse
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS (SKILLS/ABILITIES): Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively with administrators and staff.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the school community
- Ability to efficiently utilize Microsoft Office software; effectively utilize district e-mail.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Occasionally, yet essential to this position, the individual must meet deadlines with severe time constraints and interacting with the public and other workers. Occasionally, the position requires the employee to work irregular or extended hours; direct responsibility for the safety; well-being or work output of other people; and meet multiple demands from several people.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Moderate environmental conditions 2/3 of time; wet, hot and cold condition 1/3 of time; moderate noise levels. Maybe required to wear protective equipment including gloves for exposure control under limited circumstances.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.