Youth Suicide Awareness/Prevention
- Talking about making plans for suicide
- Expressing hopelessness about the future
- Giving away prized possessions
- Being Bullied/ Taking unnecessary risks
- Substance use/Abuse
- Changes in school attendance/deteriorating school performance
- Displaying severe/overwhelming emotional pain or distress
What could teachers/ Community members do?
- Take all threats seriously!
- Approach youth in calm and caring way.
- Let youth know there are people that care.
- Show respectful willingness to listen.
- Create a positive environment by encouraging good communication.
- Promise privacy but not confidentiality.
- Remove and/or lock up dangerous and sharp items including medication.
National Suicide Prevention 1-800-273-8255
Teen Connection Kansas City 1-913-281-2299
Crisis Text Line: Text "go" to 741741